Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a beautiful and delectable dessert. Our homemade pineapple cake baked in a cast iron skillet in a true showpiece… moist with rich flavors, and an absolute joy to look at! The perfect Southern Pineapple dish that’s a pleasure to serve.
SKILLET PINEAPPLE CAKE
Growing up in Corbin, Kentucky we were thrilled with delight, when mom or granny would bake a beautiful pineapple upside down cake in a skillet. Today, we would never consider buying a slice of this special cake from any restaurant, much less a store-bought one. We were treated to the delicious from scratch version, so now we still feel that if it’s not homemade, we really ain’t interested! Once you have made this recipe, you’ll understand why we feel that way!
This Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake is not just absolutely gorgeous, it’s also scrumptious. This is a recipe that when presented it will turn heads.
This is a charming and tasty handcrafted dessert, ideal for serving during the holidays. Your friends and family will love this Pineapple Upside Down Cake prepared in a cast iron skillet.
This is another one of our homemade appetizing selection!
INGREDIENTS FOR OUR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE RECIPE
- Baking Powder
- Brown Sugar
- Maraschino Cherries
- Pineapple Slices
- Vanilla Extract
HOW TO MAKE OUR PINEAPPLE CAKE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl.
Put 2 tablespoons of softened butter in skillet and place in oven.
Grease a 10” skillet by moving the melted butter around to cover sides.
Take 1/2 cup of brown sugar and evenly cover the bottom of skillet.
Open the can of pineapple slices and save 1/2 cup of the juice and set aside.
Take the 8 pineapple slices and place 5 whole rings in skillet. Then take 2 more slices and cut in half and place into the 4 remaining slots.
Place the 9 cherries inside the pineapple circle. Set aside.
Place the remainder of the softened butter into the mixing bowl and use a power mixer to blend.
Mix in 1 egg and blend. Then add another egg and blend.
Mix in 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Pour into the flour mixture while continuing to use a power mixer.
Slowly pour in the pineapple juice into the mixture while mixing until reaching a batter consistency.
Pour the batter mixture into the skillet.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until edges are browned.
Remove from oven and allow to rest and cool for 10 minutes.
Lightly run a knife or spatula around the edge to loosen if needed.
Turn the skillet upside down on a large plate and flip the skillet over.
Allow a few moments for the cake to drop onto the plate.
If any topping remaining in the skillet, WHILE WARM, transfer, and smooth any imperfections in the cake top from remaining toppings in the skillet.
Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Once you’ve enjoyed cooking our Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake, please think about giving some of our other country dessert dishes like Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits a try. Take a few minutes and review our classic dinner, sides, and dessert recipes!
Thank you so much for choosing to spend time with us!
Have a wonderful safe and happy day!
Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 tbsp Butter softened divided
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 can of Pineapple Rings reserve 1/2 cup juice
- 9 Maraschino Cherries
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in 10" skillet over low heat.
- Remove from heat and swirl butter to coat bottom and sides of skillet.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- Cut 2 of the rings in half.
- Place 5 whole rings and 4 half rings to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Place maraschino cherries in middle of each ring.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together remaining butter and sugar until blended.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and pineapple juice, while mixing continuously.
- Carefully pour the batter evenly into the skillet, spreading it evenly over the fruit (careful not to move them).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing a plate over the skillet and flipping.
Come visit us to see the latest updates, video recipe, handy tips and finished pictures at https://seniorskillet.com.