Our Sausage Cornbread Stuffing Recipe cooked in a cast iron skillet, is a “must have” southern side dish. For those of us from the country, we choose to have our dressing and stuffing loaded with flavor.
Finding good dressing can be a difficult task, most severely lack the depth of flavor. When you see good stuffing, your mouth waters in anticipation of that southern taste.
Sausage Dressing Recipe
Living in the country, we raised chicken, so we regularly had chicken as the main course. One of our primary side dishes was cornbread dressing. Granny’s southern sausage dressing was our favorite and was never boring, it was bursting with flavors.
It’s a simple recipe but requires a skillet of cornbread to get it started. As adults, we appreciate it when we get to enjoy real cornbread dressing prepared in a cast-iron skillet like mom and granny made. This is a beautiful and flavorful dish that could be carried straight out of granny’s kitchen!
Southern folks enjoy Sausage Cornbread Dressing year-round with chicken and pork dishes. Most people today only know stuffing that has been prepared from a box labeled Stove Top Stuffing. Your family will appreciate the genuine flavor of the actual southern dressing. Make it for an everyday side dish or for Thanksgiving.
After sampling our homemade Sausage Cornbread Dressing, your guests will uncover what authentic Southern Cooking is!
INGREDIENTS FOR OUR CORNBREAD STUFFING RECIPE
- 10” skillet of White Cornbread – cooked and crumbled – See our recipe for Skillet White Cornbread
- Sage Sausage
- Chicken Livers
- Chicken Broth
HOW TO MAKE OUR SAUSAGE DRESSING RECIPE
In a 12” skillet over medium heat, melt butter (we used the same skillet to cook sausage and left drippings in to start).
Add onions and celery to skillet and cook until onions are transparent.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat eggs in a medium bowl.
Add 2 cups of chicken broth and sage.
Whisk until blended.
In a large bowl, add cornbread, onions, and celery.
Add chicken livers and sausage.
Next, add broth and egg mixture.
Toss to coat.
Transfer contents to large skillet and cook for 30 minutes.
Once you’ve experienced our Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe, please consider giving some of our other southern classic dishes a spin. Take a few minutes and think about granny’s kitchen, and visit our other dinner, sides, and dessert recipes!
Cornbread Sausage Dressing
- 10 " skillet of White Cornbread cooled and crumbled
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 stalk Celery sliced
- 8 oz Sage Sausage cooked, cooled, crumbled'
- 1 cup Chicken Livers boiled, cooled, diced
- 2 Eggs
- 2-3 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Sage
- In a 12" skillet over medium heat, melt butter (I used the skillet to cook sausage and left drippings in to start).
- Add onions and celery to skillet and cook until transparent.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and sage and whisk until blended.
- In a large bowl, add cornbread, onions, celery, chicken livers, and sausage.
- Add broth and egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer contents to large skillet and cook for 30 minutes.
Come visit us to see the latest updates, video recipe, handy tips and finished pictures at https://seniorskillet.com.